Saturday, May 14, 2011

IS IT POSSIBLE TO LEARN SELF-DEFENSE FROM A BOOK?


 Growing up, I had a friend who wanted to be able to defend himself. Because he was disabled, his parents thought he would get hurt if they sent him to a dojo. Instead, they bought him a Judo book.
I also wanted to be able to defend myself, so we went through the book together. We would study the photos and instructions and try to act out the moves described. It turned out to be worth exactly nothing. At least I did not have a false sense of security; I had no sense of security. Later on, when I had the opportunity to study under some outstanding trainers, I worked with my friend to help him build actual skills. Today, having recently entered my Golden Years, I believe some of what I learned from that experience can be useful in teaching seniors how to defend themselves and their loved ones.
In the first Karate Kid movie, Mr. Miyagi sees young Daniel reading a Judo book and mutters something to the effect of, “Cannot learn Judo from book.” I agree, however, what you can learn is:
1. To be aware, so you can avoid trouble;
2. To act decisively, so as to resolve situations quickly;
3. Simplified self-defense techniques built on movements you already know;
4. Vulnerable areas of the body, to protect yours while attacking the bad guy's;
5. How to practice by yourself or with a partner in order to learn and then keep up your skills.

I look forward to writing about this and hope you will join me on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment